Lacquer boxes were first produced near Fedoskino, a village located on the banks of the Ucha River, just 24 miles north of Moscow. Today, Fedoskino has approximately 2,500 inhabitants and supports a thriving art industry that originated over two centuries ago. The original school and guild of Russian lacquer miniature painting was founded in Fedoskino in 1795. Today nearly three hundred artists and scores of highly skilled craftsmen support their families by producing the uniquely beautiful works of art we call Russian lacquer miniatures.
3 x 2.5" wide
2 1/4" high